Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Glass Block project




I have been wanting to try this project for some time now. The reason I had not done so until today...is that the blocks have to have a hole drilled into the side...with a diamond drill bit and hopefully not crack the glass. But, today I was at Lowe's and saw these in the Christmas section and they already have a hole drilled plus a plug. Bingo! DD was with me and said she would love to have one done up as a present for under her tree at her apt. Sooooo, I bought a block, picked up some spray frost paint and some ribbon and a strand of LED white Christmas lights...the LED since they stay cool.
At home, I sprayed the frost, let it dry and then stuffed the lights inside and put the stopper in. Then I used the ribbon around the outer edge and made a bow. In real life, this looks awesome with the lights in a dark room.
I plan to make another one and use battery lights so I can set it on a table with out being plugged in. I will either paint a scene or print something onto velum and attach it to the sides of the glass block and hope the lights show through.

6 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

Waay, waay cool!

Joanne

Vicki said...

Wow! Your lighted block is wonderful. Hmmm...I may have to borrow your idea and check out home depot since there's no lowe's near me.

Connie said...

What a great idea jean! InJeanious!

connie

Angela Hoffmann said...

oooh what a pretty project! sounds fun to do too!! hmmm Lowes you say?..i need to add a couple of new things around here..that might be a cool and fast project..the boys could help me!

The Backporch Artessa said...

Oh JEEEEEEANNE!
I know we are Going to HAVE to get together! GREAT minds think alike! Take a look at what's on my blog that I've been selling at the craft shows! LOL!

jackie said...

Jean, your glass block is wonderful! I love the ribbon that you used! I'm glad to know that these are available pre-drilled since that is why I have not created one yet.
Let me say again how proud I am of your participation and graduation from CPA! I know you worked hard to accomplish this goal and I'm excited about the COPP program! BeaverCreek is very fortunate to have you on their team!
hugs,
jackie